Cant find what your looking for?

The earth seen from space
/ News

Sateliot and GateHouse SatCom Sign Partnership Agreement to Develop World’s First NB-IoT Network

The Spanish satellite telecom operator, Sateliot, has signed a partnership agreement with the Danish satellite communications specialist, GateHouse SatCom. The partnership is a part of Sateliot’s project to develop the world’s first space-based NarrowBand-IoT (NB-IoT) network offering a full seamless 5G connectivity in remote regions with limited or no coverage today.

Sateliot, the first satellite telecom operator for global continuous IoT connectivity merging satellite and terrestrial networks under 5G protocol, has just signed a partnership agreement with the Danish satcom specialist, GateHouse SatCom.

With the partnership, GateHouse will deliver NB-IoT connectivity technology for Sateliot’s space-based NB-IoT network, which will be the first of that kind. The technology will allow IoT terminals to send and receive data from both terrestrial and space-based networks. In this way, Sateliot will be able to offer full seamless connectivity to IoT devices in the remote regions of the world.

– Only 10 percent of the Earth’s land surface has mobile coverage, and it is in the remaining 90 percent that our new generation of 5G infrastructure comes into play. With our network, we can offer a supplement to the traditional telecom operators that will make 5G connectivity possible for the rising amount of IoT devices in remote regions, e.g. the Arctic regions or the Australian outback, explains Jaume Sanpera, the CEO of Sateliot, and adds:

– For more than a decade, GateHouse has delivered waveforms for satcom services and has, as one of the first companies in the industry, started developing technology for space-based NB-IoT networks. With their know-how and experience in handling innovative and advanced technologies such as ours, we are confident that we have found the right partner for our project.

Earlier this year, GateHouse SatCom signed a contract with the European Space Agency (ESA) to develop a solution for extending existing NB-IoT protocols enabling a space-based NB-IoT network. According to an analysis by the EMEA Satellite Operator’s Association, around 2.7 million IoT devices are connected via satellites today. That is why the satcom specialist company eyes a great potential in the market for IoT services, says CEO at GateHouse, Michael Bondo Andersen:

– Coupled with existing software-defined radio payloads and applied on Low Earth Orbit satellites, NB-IoT can extend the network range providing full seamless connectivity to remote regions on earth. On top of this, NB-IoT also offers a remarkably low power consumption and low device cost, he says and adds:

– Our ambition is to develop the first standard connectivity technology for space-based NB-IoT and the new partnership with Sateliot is an important step towards this goal. We therefore expect that our solution will provide a roadmap for the future 5G network in regions with little or no coverage.

Sateliot’s NB-IoT network will rely on the company’s constellation of nanosatellites which is expected to be launched over the next two years. The network is expected to be operational by the end of 2022.

About GateHouse SatCom 
For more than a decade, GateHouse SatCom has provided the satellite communications industry with a range of market-leading software products for commercial, government and military use. With deep knowledge and understanding of global communications infrastructures and platforms, GateHouse also offers consultancy services for software, hardware and system integration as well as for the preparation and evaluation of international tenders.

About Sateliot 
Sateliot is the first satellite telecommunications operator that will provide global and continuous connectivity to all the elements that will make up the universe of the Internet of Things (IoT) – such as the connected car or house – under the 5G protocol. Thanks to a constellation of nanosatellites of the latest generation, located at low altitude that act as mobile towers, Sateliot is the perfect complement to the large telecommunications companies by providing them with the necessary infrastructure where terrestrial technologies do not reach.

Thomas S. Jensen, Director August 20, 2020 IN / News